We go through the day looking for relief, and snippets of joy. We are unaware that we actually crave is pleasure and joy. We find it in delicious food, a great bottle of wine, or the touch of someone we love. When you’re having a day that seems to be empty of joy, you can do one of these things right now to immediately bring you pleasure!
We dare you!
1. Give and get a hug! Find someone you love and give them a long, tight hug. Not only is a hug a way to feel connected with people you care about, but it also provides health benefits like decreasing stress and your chance of getting a cold!
2. A long, hot shower and a clean, warm towel. Wash away feelings of disappointment and displeasure with a long hot shower. Wash your hair and the rest of your body with the intention of removing the ill feelings that are clinging to your being. A clean, warm towel will make you feel loved.
3. Call or see a friend. If there is a friend you have been missing, or need to connect with, give them a call, or face time them. Afterwards, send them a handwritten note in the mail. They’ll enjoy getting a note from you, and you’ll enjoy writing something meaningful to a loved one. You may even get a handwritten note back!
4. Make eye contact with a handsome (or beautiful) stranger. Smile! Don’t be shy! This will be hard, since so many people prefer looking at their cell phones than to the beauty that surrounds them. Leave the phone in your pocket, in the car, or in your purse and make it a point to look at strangers, catch their eye and smile. When they smile back, you’ll feel waves of pleasure and joy.
5. Listen to your all-time favorite song. Make a playlist of all your favorite songs to listen to at times like this! Listening to your favorite song or list of songs, and dancing along if you’re so inclined is one of the best ways to dispel feelings of sadness, and replace it with happiness. When I’m feeling down, I love listening and dancing to “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire. 3 minutes later, I’m feeling so much better, and my whole perspective has changed.
6. Have a good laugh! Norman Cousins cured himself through laughter. Take time every day to have a good laugh. Find some funny videos on YouTube, read a funny book, or watch a TV show that makes you chuckle. I love watching “Malcolm in the Middle” with my kids. We laugh aloud, together. It is a wonderful release and creates feelings of togetherness and community.
7. Take a hike and take in a beautiful view. We forget that being out in nature is a natural anti-depressant. Put on some sturdy shoes, take a short hike and look at a view! One of my favorite places for a beautiful view in L.A. is the Griffith Observatory, night or day!
8. Crawl into bed with clean sheets. Yes, this tip is a little more labor intensive, but changing your sheets, and then crawling into bed with a good book, or a loved one, well nothing feels better!
9. Soak up some sun. Step away from your desk, and take a walk outside. Get some sun, and feel the rays of warmth on your face. Vitamin D is important for women’s health, and combats depression, and sleeplessness. Plus a short walk will get your energy back up to tackle the rest of your to do list!
10. Take a nap or do a guided meditation. With the Insight Timer (one of our favorite free apps) you can take a guided meditation and choose the duration from one minute to 1 hour! Use the timer, to take a quick nap and recharge your batteries. Having time to be still is just as important as activity.
Bonus Tip: Give yourself an orgasm. Take some time with yourself and get a rush of pleasure. Orgasms release of the endorphins, dopamine and oxytocin which are immediate mood boosters and provide feelings of well-being. Shop here for Women's Best Vibrators.
A few of our favorite things that can help you feel pleasure!